CAE to CAD
This event aimed to explore the existing, and state of the art
solutions to provide feedback from CAE simulations to the CAD
environment. This led to discussions which identified the
limitations and barriers preventing users getting to the ultimate
- What feedback is required ?
- What data is required to support the feedback, i.e. parameters,
values, precise geometry, mesh etc ?
- How is the feedback data managed ?
- How does the feedback benefit the overall design process ?
- Can Open Standards be part of the solution, or does it require a
vendor supplied solution ?
- What methods are used to interpret the CAE data to provide the
- How do closed loop systems (i.e. optimization and robustness)
differ from open loop systems in providing feedback ?
- What would be the perfect solution ?
The event was a mix of presentations from NAFEMS members and
software providers. At the beginning of
the day, a breakout session took place (please see the
question posed below). A round table panel discussion with the
presenters alsol provided an opportunity for Q&A and
discussions. A summary of the day’s information on future
needs was briefly presented.
Cecil Armstrong, Queens University Belfast
Thermo-mechanical Modelling of Gas Turbine Engine Components and
Assemblies in FE and CFD Codes
Jeffrey Dixon, Rolls-Royce
Analysis Results Used to Create New 3D BREP Geometry in Metal
Laurence Marks, on behalf of NMB Minebea
Optimization-Based Design: A Roadmap from Analysis to
Zoran Andjelic, ABB Corporate Research Switzerland
A PDM/SDM Environment Supporting Collaborative Change Processes
Thomas Weninger, Engineering System International GmbH
Parametric Driven Change – Ansys Workbench
Brian Miller, Wide FEA Ltd.
Conceptual Designing Using Optimization in your Existing CAE and
CAD Systems for Accelerating the Design Process
Claus Pedersen FE-Design