Practical Introduction to Non-Linear Analysis
This two day non-linear FE course is intended for delegates interested in using FE to analyse advanced non-linear problems involving material non-linearities, geometric non-linearities and contact problems.
The objectives of this FE course are:
- To provide delegates with an introduction to the fundamental theory of non-linear FE analysis.
- To highlight the possible difficulties that may be encountered in using FE software to analyse non-linear problems.
Who Should Attend?
This non-linear FE course is aimed at engineers and scientists who want to gain an understanding of the fundamental theory of non-linear FE analysis and its application to practical problems.
As this is an advanced FE course, a pre-requisite for this course is a reasonable knowledge of linear FE theory and applications. However, no prior knowledge of non-linear FE theory is required. The course is independent of any FE software code.
Brief Overview of Linear FE analysis
A brief overview of linear FE formulation, numerical algorithms, different element types etc. to provide a foundation for the non-linear formulation.
General Introduction to Non-linear problems
Classifications of non-linear problems, Comparison of linear and non-linear FE analysis, Non-linear algorithms and procedures, Difficulties in modelling non-linear problems.
Basic plasticity theory, Uniaxial and multi-axial plasticity, Work hardening, FE treatment of plasticity, Solution strategy and accuracy, Discussion of typical practical plasticity applications.
Creep and Visco-elasticity
Basic theory of creep, FE algorithms for creep problems and time marching, Explicit and implicit time integrations, Discussion of typical practical creep applications.
Basic theory of contact mechanics, classification of contact configurations, Hertzian and non-Hertzian contact problems, FE contact algorithms, Penalty methods and Lagrange multipliers, Difficulties in modelling contact problems, Tips and guidelines, Discussion of practical contact problems.
Basic theory of geometric non-linearity, GNL stress-strain definitions, FE algorithms for geometric non-linearities, Arc-length and line-search methods, Solution strategy and accuracy, Discussion of typical GNL problems.
Brief introduction to other advanced FE Applications
A brief overview of Fracture Mechanics, Fatigue Analysis, Explicit FE codes, Buckling analysis.
Crowne Plaza Hotel
We have secured a limited number of rooms at the venue hotel, at a special rate of £75, including VAT on a bed & breakfast basis. Please contact the hotel directly, stating that you are attending a NAFEMS training course, to book rooms at the discounted rate. This reduced rate is applicable to NAFEMS delegates until four week prior to the course date.
£535 | $909 | €677
£790 | $1343 | €999
Order Ref: AFEA_Oct14
Event Type: Course
Location: Nottingham UK
Date: October 7, 2014
Adib Becker is Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Nottingham. He has been teaching Finite Element courses for over 27 years, and has launched many short courses on FEA, aimed at industry, since 1990. He has written two textbooks on both linear and non-linear FE analysis, and has published over 240 papers on computational mechanics.
Professor Becker has been involved in many NAFEMS activities, and has been the Chairman of the NAFEMS Education and Training Working Group since 2006. He was the Chairman of the IMechE Structural Technology and Materials Committee (2010-2012).
Events - Cancellation Policy
Please note NAFEMS cancellation policy for all UK public training courses is as follows:-
- Suitably qualified delegates may be substituted at any time prior to the start of the course
- Bookings are accepted upon condition that either full payment is received before the course commences, or that a valid purchase order is received from a company that has a credit agreement with us
- In the event of a delegate being unable to attend a course that they have booked upon then, NAFEMS will discuss the possibility of transferring to an alternative course. However, a suitable administration charge will be levied.
- A refund of 50% of the course fees will be paid to delegates who cancel their booking and do not re-schedule to an alternative course, provided that the cancellation is received by NAFEMS at least four weeks in advance of the course. No refunds can be given for cancellations made after this time.
- NAFEMS reserves the right to cancel the course, without liability, in which case all training fees will be refunded in full. However, NAFEMS cannot be held liable for any other expenses incurred by participants or their companies due to the cancellation.
NAFEMS will discuss the possibility of transferring to an alternative event/course, however an administration charge will be applicable.
For full terms and conditions, click here. This policy is subject to change.