Practical Introduction to Non-Linear Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
2-day training course
This non-linear Finite Element course is intended for delegates interested in using FE to analyse advanced non-linear problems involving material non-linearities, geometric non-linearities and contact problems.
The objectives of this Finite Element course are:
- To provide delegates with an introduction to the fundamental theory of non-linear FE analysis.
- To highlight the possible difficulties that may be encountered in using FE software to analyse non-linear problems.
Who Should Attend
This non-linear FE course is aimed at engineers and scientists who want to gain an understanding of the fundamental theory of non-linear Finite Element analysis and its application to practical problems.
As this is an advanced FE course, a pre-requisite for this course is a reasonable knowledge of linear FE theory and applications. However, no prior knowledge of non-linear Finite Element theory is required. The course is independent of any FE software code.
● Brief Overview of Linear Finite Element analysis
A brief overview of linear Finite Element formulation, numerical algorithms, etc. to provide a foundation for the non-linear formulation.
● General Introduction to Non-linear problems
Classifications of non-linear problems, Comparison of linear and non-linear FE analysis, Non-linear algorithms and procedures, Difficulties in modelling non-linear problems.
Basic plasticity theory, Uniaxial and multi-axial plasticity, Work hardening, FE treatment of plasticity, Solution strategy and accuracy, Discussion of typical practical plasticity applications.
● Creep and Visco-elasticity
Basic theory of creep, Finite Element algorithms for creep problems and time marching, Explicit and implicit time integrations, Discussion of typical practical creep applications.
● Contact Problems
Basic theory of contact mechanics, classification of contact configurations, Hertzian and non-Hertzian contact problems, FE contact algorithms, Penalty methods and Lagrange multipliers, Difficulties in modelling contact problems, Tips and guidelines, Discussion of practical contact problems.
● Geometric Non-linearity
Basic theory of geometric non-linearity, GNL stress-strain definitions, FE algorithms for geometric non-linearities, Arc-length and line-search methods, Solution strategy and accuracy, Discussion of typical GNL problems.
● Brief introduction to other advanced Finite Element Applications
A brief overview of Fracture Mechanics, Fatigue Analysis, Explicit FE codes, Buckling analysis.
Read Adib Becker's bio on the NAFEMS tutors page.
Events - Cancellation Policy
Please note NAFEMS cancellation policy for all UK events is as follows:-
- Cancellation up to 3 weeks before the event date: free of charge;
- Cancellation up to 1 week before the event date: 75% of registration fee non-refundable;
- Cancellation up to 1 week before the event date: all seminar credits non-refundable;
- No show at the event: 100% of registration fee non-refundable;
NAFEMS will discuss the possibility of transferring to an alternative event/course, however an administration charge will be applicable.
This policy is subject to change.
*Special discounts are being made available to members for this course. For more information on joining NAFEMS, please visit ourmembership section.