An Introduction to Delamination and Advanced Failure of Composites
The NAFEMS Education and Training Working Group wishes to commission a new book in the “Why Do” series on Delamination and Advanced Failure of Composites using FE Techniques.
This book should be aimed at a graduate level industrial user who is familiar with the principals of FE Analysis, but is inexperienced in advanced FE Analysis,who wishes to start analysing delamination and failure of composites.
The book should cover all aspects of delamination and failure of composite structures using modern FE Analysis software. The following topics are expected to be covered:-
- Material properties used to define fibre-reinforced composites
- Composite Failure theories
- Fibre failure due to tensile and comprehensive loading
- Matrix cracking due to transverse loading and shearing
- Damage initiation and evolution for fibre-reinforced composites
- Delamination of adhesively bonded materials
- Brittle and Ductile failure
- Multi-scale modelling
- Progressive failure of fibre-reinforced composites.
The book should include at least one international benchmark that has been used to test delamination and failure of composites.
It is expected that the book should align with the requirements of the Professional Simulation Engineer (PSE) competency tracker for Composite Materials and Structures (CMP) as detailed at https://www.psecompetencytracker.org.
The total cost is not expected to exceed £7000.00, and it is expected that the book will be completed within 12 months from NAFEMS approval.
Potential authors should submit the following:-
- A brief description of the topics to be covered
- Chapterand Section headings with an approximate number of pages per chapter
- Timescale for completing the book
- CVs of the authors (Maximum two pages per author).
Applicants are advised to study existing NAFEMS publications in this field before submitting a bid. The following NAFEMS publications are relevant in this field:
- HT25, Marsden, W, and Irving, D J, How To Analyse Composites, 2002.
- R0003, Taig, I C, Finite Element Analysis of Composite Materials, 1992.
- R0084, Davies, G A O, Benchmarks for Composite Delamination, 2002.
- R0031, Hardy, S, Composite Benchmarks, 2001.
All proposal should be sent to NAFEMS at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrive no later than 31st May 2014.
Further details are available from the NAFEMS office or by contacting the Chairman of the ETWG email@example.com.