1. Choose appropriate spatial & temporal discretisation schemes.
2. If the problem is time-dependent, ensure that; the initial condition is appropriate; time-step allows resolution of key phenomena & respects any Courant No. limits.
3. Ensure that the numerical treatment of boundary conditions is appropriate.
4. A solution strategy may have to be developed.
5. Establish appropriate solution convergence criteria: Use of a mass residual criteria or change in solution value at a single monitoring node as sole methods for judging convergence may be very misleading.- Consider monitoring: a range of residuals; global balances of mass, momentum and energy; as well as solution values.