The heterogeneous and anisotropic build-up of laminated composite structures complicates strength and failure analyses based on Finite-Element simulations. ComPoLyX extends the abilities of available Finite-Element packages for the postprocessing of laminated composite structures.
- Simple definition, configuration and combination of desired composite failure criteria.
- Efficient evaluation of inverse reserve factors and failure modes for the configured failure criteria combination for every layer of every Finite Element in a composite structure.
- Concise all-in-one-plot visualization showing the maximum inverse reserve factor of all criteria of all layers of an element together with the active failure mode.
- Unique method to evaluate interlaminar normal stresses in thick curved laminates.
- Interfaces to ASCII-based data formats of standard FEA packages (ABAQUS, ANSYS, NASTRAN).
- Powerful graphical user interface with OpenGL visualization and model tree.
- Python scripting interface.
ComPoLyX evaluates Inverse Reserve Factors (IRFs) as a primary measure for every given failure criterion at all integration points of all layers of all requested Finite Elements in a composite structure. This common measure allows for easy comparison and combination of different failure criteria. Currently the following, fully configurable failure criteria are available:
- Maximum Strain
- Maximum Stress
- Tsai-Wu (2D and 3D)
- Tsai-Hill (2D and 3D)
- Hashin (2D and 3D)
- Core shear (sandwich)
- Face sheet wrinkling (sandwich)
For a given list of element sets, plies or laminate zones ComPoLyX computes the combination of all active failure criteria. The results can be combined within a concise all-in-one plot:
- Contour plot with maximum IRF of all criteria of all layers.
- Element text showing the active failure mode and the layer index of the first ply failure.
The strains and stresses can be visualized ply / layer wise by components and at bottom, mid and top of each ply / layer. Global plies are maintained within ComPoLyX and can be accessed for post-processing.
INTERLAMINAR NORMAL STRESS EVALUATION
ComPoLyX provides a unique method to evaluate the out-of-plane (interlaminar) normal stresses in thick-walled curved laminates modeled with standard layered shell elements. This enables the user to routinely evaluate 3D failure criteria such as Hashin, Tsai-Wu or Tsai-Hill. This post-processing method is implemented for linear and quadratic layered shell elements.