Altair Engineering Announces the Release of Altair HyperWorks 8.0,
Open-systems, multi-disciplinary development framework frees engineering resources to focus on innovation and robustness
TROY, Mich., October 24, 2006 – Altair Engineering, Inc., a leading global provider of technology and services that strengthen client innovation and decision-making, today announced the public release of Altair HyperWorks 8.0 – The Engineering Framework for Product Design™. The integrated suite of advanced computer-aided engineering (CAE) software tools delivers advanced technology and functionality to increase efficiency and reduce cycle time in the development of innovative, robust products.
“As manufacturers look for new ways to improve product development efficiency and gain a competitive advantage, CAE is playing an increasingly more important role,” said Jeff Brennan, vice president of the Altair HyperWorks business unit. “This software release – the largest in our company’s history – continues our tradition of delivering open-architecture, best-in-class technology that empowers decision-making and leverages our customers’ investments in simulation.“
The new products and functionality in HyperWorks 8.0 create the broadest simulation technology suite for PLM. This release targets three main areas to aid manufacturers in bringing innovative products to market faster: it provides an integrated multi-disciplinary framework, enables a CAE-driven design process and improves simulation turnaround time.
Integrated, Multi-Disciplinary Framework
CAE is becoming multi-disciplinary, as once-separated analysis disciplines and activities begin to merge. HyperWorks 8.0 broadens application scope, while remaining committed to an open-systems environment. This environment provides clients both flexibility and robust solutions to solve complex problems. Advancements in this release include:
• NEW! Multi-body dynamics solver solution. With the release of 8.0, Altair introduces robust and comprehensive motion analysis software for mechanical system simulation that includes advanced contact modeling, user sub-routines and full-support flexible bodies.
• Combined FEA/MBD analysis solution. Fully integrated motion solution capabilities are now available within OptiStruct/Analysis for coupled flexible- and rigid-body analysis through a single input deck generated from HyperMesh.
• Performance data management solution. Easily implemented within existing PDM and ERP deployments, Altair Data Manager is a flexible data management solution to manage, share and control engineering simulation and test data at both the user and enterprise levels.
• NEW! 3D plotting environment for performance data analysis. HyperGraph 3D is a new 3D-plotting environment for creating 3D plots, such as waterfall, surface and 3D line data, with a rich toolset for querying information, 3D section-cutting and more.
• Unified environment for manufacturing simulation. Manufacturing Solutions is a unified virtual manufacturing environment to simulate stamping, extrusion, molding, forging and friction stir welding processes within a single graphical user interface.
CAE-Driven Design Process
Altair is a leader in developing new CAE methods and tools that allow simulation to lead the design process. HyperWorks 8.0 introduces new technology for conceptual design, model morphing and structural optimization that further positions simulation as a driver of design. It does this by addressing product performance and manufacturability earlier in the design cycle.
• Model morphing. A completely new approach to mesh and geometry morphing that simplifies mesh-based design changes for shell and solid models, as well as automates the creation of design variables for size and shape optimization.
• Stress-constrained topology and topography optimization. Altair is first-to-market with stress-constrained topology and topography optimization in OptiStruct to generate the most efficient conceptual designs for stress-critical structures, such as that of aircraft.
• “Free-shape” and “free-size” optimization. OptiStruct furthers its leadership position in structural optimization with the addition of “free-shape” optimization for automated boundary shape variation with minimal user input, and “free-size” optimization to develop robust variable thickness design solutions, composite laminates and "shear-web"-type structures.
• Frequency-response optimization. Topology, topography, shape and size optimization capabilities are now available with OptiStruct’s existing frequency-response solution types for improving the dynamic behavior of structures.
Analysis Cycle Time Reduction
The most time-consuming activities for CAE engineering departments continue to be modeling, visualization and execution of design iterations. HyperWorks 8.0 improves both end-user and organizational-level efficiency with advancements that include:
• Enhanced user interface for modeling efficiency. A newly designed HyperMesh graphical user interface, highly tuned for modeling efficiency and improved workflow, simplifies the modeling process, while providing a new and interactive experience for all user levels and modeling types.
• Solid modeling. HyperMesh delivers increased solid modeling functionality with the addition of solid geometric entities. This increased functionality is combined with a higher level of user control and interaction to enable fast, high-quality tetra- and hexa-meshing of complex solid models.
• 64-bit Windows support
Global delivery of HyperWorks 8.0 will take place through Q1 2007, and will be completed in two stages. First-stage distribution is currently available for electronic download and includes the commercial release of HyperMesh, OptiStruct, MotionSolve, HyperGraph, HyperGraph 3D, HyperStudy, Altair Data Manager and Manufacturing Solutions.
Second-stage distribution, planned for Q1 2007, will be available electronically, as well as by way of CD and DVD media formats. This service release will include all of the previously released applications, the commercial release of HyperView and MotionView, 64-bit Linux support, and the recently acquired RADIOSS technology suite licensed under HyperWorks Units.
Current customers can download HyperWorks 8.0 and the Release Notes, which provide a complete list of new products, features and functionality, by visiting Altair’s Client Center portal at www.altairhyperworks.com/hw8 For more information on the HyperWorks 8.0 release, training schedules and to request a WebEx demonstration, please visit www.altairhyperworks.com/hw8
About Altair Engineering
Altair Engineering, Inc. strengthens client innovation and decision-making through technology that optimizes the analysis, management and visualization of business and engineering information. Privately held with more than 1,000 employees, Altair has offices throughout North America, Europe and Asia/Pacific. With a 20-year-plus track record for product design, advanced engineering software and grid computing technologies, Altair consistently delivers a competitive advantage to customers in a broad range of industries. To learn more, please visit www.altair.com
Date: October 24, 2006