Major organisations in the European automotive industry have seen substantial benefit from the integration of modelling and simulation into their design process. Today, there is a need for more widespread adoption of engineering simulation throughout the supply chain. At the same time, technology is being developed that offers the potential to reach a new generation of advanced applications.
A number of key issues are currently holding these developments back, including:
- A lack of sufficiently skilled personnel and inefficiencies in their use.
- Smaller organisations not being ready or able to deploy the technology.
- Limits to the confidence placed on the reliability of analytical results.
- Suppliers using different procedures when supplying to different companies.
- Researchers needing a coordinated industrial view on priorities for the development of breakthrough technologies.
AUTOSIM established an international team of leading experts representing much of the European automotive industry. They examined the analytical procedures and research strategies. related to simulation within their own organisations. They then consulted with the wider automotive industry to gain feedback on their preliminary findings and to help establish credibility of the final reports.