Metals MANWG Sub-group
The Metals Sub-group of the MANWG was set up in early 2018 and has the following aims:
- To promote best practice simulation methods for all manner of metal manufacturing processes, by clarifying the potential benefits, addressing the technical challenges and providing a source of information.
- To identify the areas that require more investigation to allow greater application of these methods in industry.
These aims will be achieved through the following activities:
- Create publications within the NAFEMS framework addressing specific aspects of metal manufacturing process simulation that we feel need support and clarification, including, for example, materials characterisation for metal forming simulation, springback prediction and compensation, and choice of solution methods, e.g., for up-front simulation.
- Promote a better understanding of the need for reliable sources of material data suitable for use in metal manufacturing process simulation.
Develop and maintain a list of benchmark studies and related publications from all sources.
Encourage participation in relevant benchmark exercise.
Identify potential new NAFEMS benchmark problems for specific applications.
Long Term / Ongoing
- Provide a forum for discussion of topics of interest to engineers working in this field, supporting and encouraging the suppliers of simulation software, Universities & research institutes and the industrial users who seek to benefit from metal forming process simulation.
Processes considered by the Sub-group include sheet metal & tube forming such as pressing, drawing, stretch forming, shaping, hydroforming & superplastic forming; bulk metal forming including forging & extrusion; machining; metal casting and other solidification based processes; joining processes for metals including welding; and heat treatment.
N.B., Metallic Additive Manufacturing is addressed by a separate Sub-group.If you are interested in participating in the Metals Sub-group, please complete the 'Get Involved' form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.
If you wish to get involved in the MANWG Metals Sub-group activities, please use the form below.