Composites Manufacturing Process Simulation Focus Group
Video courtesy Convergent Manufacturing Technologies in collaboration with the NASA ACP project
The Composites MANWG Focus Group is a sub-group of the Manufacturing Process Simulation Working Group (MANWG) and was set up in 2018 with the following aims:
- To promote best practice simulation methods for all manner of composites manufacturing processes by clarifying the potential benefits, addressing the technical challenges and providing a source of information.
- To identify the areas that require more investigation to allow greater application of these methods to industrial composites users.
These aims will be achieved through the following activities:
- Create publications within the NAFEMS framework addressing specific aspects of composites manufacturing process simulation that we feel need support and clarification, including, for example, materials characterisation for composites process simulation, and approaches and benefits of composites process simulation.
- Promote a better understanding of the need for reliable sources of material data suitable for use in composites manufacturing process simulation.
- Develop and maintain a list of benchmark studies, tools and related publications from all sources.
- Encourage participation in relevant benchmark exercise.
- Identify potential new NAFEMS benchmark problems for specific applications.
Long Term/ Ongoing
- Provide a forum for discussion of topics of interest to engineers working in this field, supporting and encouraging the suppliers of simulation software, universities & research institutes and the industrial users who seek to benefit from composite manufacturing process simulation.
Processes considered by the focus group include dry reinforcement forming, liquid composite moulding, manufacturing with prepreg, curing and joining. Material systems include polymer matrix, metal matrix and ceramic matrix composites, with both continuous and discontinuous reinforcement.
A list of the current members of the Composites MANWG Focus Group can be viewed here.
If you are interested in participating in the Composites MANWG Focus Group, please complete the 'Get Involved' form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.
If you wish to get involved in the Composites MANWG group activities, please use the form below.
PLEASE NOTE: all NAFEMS Working Groups are asked to ensure that at least two thirds of their membership are affiliated with a NAFEMS member organisation