07:00 PDT / 10:00 EDT / 15:00 BST / 16:00 CEST
Four Session Online Training Course - 2.5 hours per session* -
one session per week (including 2-week break)
- Why does a PSD plot have such strange units?
- Why are dynamic effects important in shock spectra?
- Why does non-linear stiffness dissipate energy?
- How can I begin to break down complex eigenvalue analysis into something meaningful?
Get the answers to these questions and more with this industry-leading, code-independent e-learning course.
This 4-session, live online course covers a broad range of solution types, beyond the usual natural frequency and dynamic response methods. This allows more physical phenomena to be investigated and simulated using dynamics in FEA.
The major topics are:
- random vibration
- shock and response spectra
- nonlinear dynamic response
- explicit dynamic analysis
- complex eigenvalue analysis
You can either attend the live sessions or
take the course on-demand at your leisure.
NAFEMS e-learning gives you the best of both worlds, giving you real, practical knowledge that you can use day-to-day to improve your analyses.
What will you learn?
- Theory behind advanced dynamic analysis techniques
- Practical understanding of advanced applications
- Hints and tips for setting up advanced dynamic analyses
- A roadmap for understanding the results from dynamic analysis
- Limitations of simulation methods
What questions will this course answer?
- What are the most important advanced dynamic analysis topics?
- What theoretical background I need to understand the implications of my analysis?
- What practical hints and tips do I need to be able to carry out analysis effectively?
Who should attend?Designers and engineers who have some familiarity with dynamic analysis.
The course is completely code independent.
- A full set of notes in PDF format will be available for download. Each session is presented live and is available for review via a streamable recording.
- Personal passwords are provided to allow you to access e-learning backup material via our special bulletin board. Reading lists, homework submissions, supplementary data are all stored as files on the bulletin board.
- Interaction via the bulletin board is strongly encouraged to obtain the most from the e-learning class. Typically the board runs for 4 weeks after the last live class sessions, giving you plenty of time to catch up with homework, review and ask questions.
Note: homework is purely voluntary!
Course Process and Details
Students will join the audio portion of the meetings by utilizing the VoIP (i.e. headset connected to the computer via headphone and microphone jacks) or by calling into a standard toll line. If you are interested in additional pricing to call-in using a toll-free line, please send an email to: e-learning @ nafems.org .
Session 1: Shock and Response Spectra
- Importance of Dynamic Effects in Shock
- Shock Spectra Analysis
- Response Spectra Overview
- DDAM overview
- Response Spectra Analysis – creation of a spectra
- Response Spectra Analysis – application of a spectra
- Response Spectra Examples
- Homework Session 1
Session 2: Random Response
- Homework Review
- Probability and Random theory review
- PSD definition
- Random FE Analysis Overview
- Application of Random Analysis results for Fatigue
- Checking with Miles Equation
- Random Response Examples
- Homework session 2
Session 3: Nonlinear Dynamics
- Homework Review
- Dynamic Nonlinearity
- Nonlinear Strategy
- Example of Geometric Nonlinearity
- •Theoretical Solution
- •Numerical solution
- Background to Material Nonlinearity
- Example of Material Nonlinearity
- •Theoretical Solutions
- •Numerical solutions
Session 4: Explicit and Complex Analysis
- Overview of Implicit versus Explicit Solutions
- Applicability of Explicit techniques
- Explicit Basic Concepts
- Time step calculations
- Simple Example
- Lagrangian and Eulerian solutions
- Complex Eigenvalue Analysis
- Applications using complex Eigenvalues
PSE Competencies addressed by this training course
|DVco24||Discuss the variables in an Impact Analysis.|
|DVco31||Discuss the term non-proportional damping.|
|DVco44||Explain the terms Implicit Solution and Explicit Solution for the time integration of the equations of motion and the appropriate associated problem classes of dynamic analyses.|
|DVco49||Discuss possible sources of nonlinearity in a dynamic problem.|
|DVco50||Explain the term Power Spectral Density.|
|DVco54||Discuss various approaches to Seismic Analysis and highlight relevant philosophy and analysis considerations.|
|DVco56||Explain the term response spectra.|
|DVap9||Employ an analysis system for the determination of response in a range of linear and nonlinear systems, to random vibration.|
|DVap10||Employ an analysis system for the simulation of impact.|
|DVap7||Employ an analysis system for the determination of transient response in a range of linear and nonlinear systems.|
|DVap8||Employ an analysis system for the determination of seismic response in a range of linear and nonlinear systems.|
£228 | $320 | €260
£296 | $415 | €338
Order Ref: el-224
Event Type: Course
Location: e-Learning Online
Date: March 26, 2018
Not Available to Attend this Time?
Would you like us to notify you when the next course on Advanced Dynamic FEA is open for enrollment? If so, add yourself to the eLearning Waitlist!
Monday March 26th
Monday April 2nd
Monday April 9th
no session April 16th or April 23rd
Monday April 30th
Note: Daylight Savings will occur in late-October and early-November. We will always default to the Pacific time zone (first listed); to check against your time zone around the daylight saving change, click here.
All sessions are recorded and made available to attendees following the end of the live class. It is perfectly acceptable to attend this class using recordings only.
*The length of each session can vary, depending on Q&A, homework responses, and other contributing factors.
The course is completely code independent, so is applicable to all FEA users
Feedback from former Dynamic FE Analysis e-Learning students:
"This course did everything right. From organization to presentation to interaction, this is a good model for what online training should be."
"Tony's command over the subject and excellent teaching skills made this course worthwhile."
"Super! Doesn't get better than this. Good idea to start having e-Learning courses."
"I'm really happy not to pay a big fraction of my annual training budget to airlines and hotels. A BIG plus to e-learning."
Telephony surcharges may apply for attendees who are located outside of North America, South America and Europe. These surcharges are related to individuals who join the audio portion of the web-meeting by calling in to the provided toll/toll-free teleconferencing lines. We have made a VoIP option available so anyone attending the class can join using a headset (headphones w/ microphone) connected to the computer. There is no associated surcharge to utilize the VoIP option, and is actually encouraged to ensure NAFEMS is able to keep the e-Learning course fees as low as possible. Please send an email to the e-Learning coordinator (e-learning @ nafems.org ) to determine if these surcharges may apply to your specific case.
Just as with a live face-to-face training course, each registration only covers one person. If you plan to register a large group (5+), please send an email to e-learning @ nafems.org in advance for group discounts.
For NAFEMS cancellation and transfer policy, click here.