Rules and Regulations
Eligibility for Participation
- Nomination is open to all final year undergraduate students enrolled at any UK Higher Education Establishment in the 2017-2018 academic year undertaking a Final Year Project.
- The project must be finalised before 31 May 2018.
- The competition is not open to employees of IMechE or NAFEMS or any person directly or indirectly involved in the organisation, or running of this competition, or their direct family members.
- The project supervisor must testify that the contestant is a matriculated undergraduate student for the 2017-2018 academic year and that the results are the nominee’s own work.
- Nominees may be required to attend an interview. Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed.
- It is envisaged that Final Year Undergraduate Projects will be eligible for entry for the IMechE / NAFEMS Outstanding Project Award.
- The project report must involve significant use of Engineering Simulation technology such as Finite Element Modelling, Computational Fluid Dynamics or Multi Body Dynamics.
- The time span for project completion must be less than 1 year.
- If the project is part of a larger, on-going project for an organisation, then it would be eligible for nomination if it created an additional feature or was a major modification of an existing feature of the larger project.
- Winners will be expected to participate in reasonable publicity activities in connection with the competition. Reasonable expenses incurred will be reimbursed.
- The deadline for entries is 31 May 2018.
- The award-winners will be those who have, in the view of the competition judges, demonstrated one or more of the following:
- Practical use of simulation, including assessing the validity of the results and their limitation.
- Communication of the value and impact that simulation brought to the project.
- The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Awards must be taken as offered by the judges. Winners will be required to inform the organisers by the deadline given, if they do not intend to accept the award.
- Only the finalists will be contacted personally. The project supervisor and nominee should make no contact with any person from either the IMechE or NAFEMS with regard to the awards.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to cancel the competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in their opinion.
- No responsibility is accepted for entries made outside the rules of the competition.
- Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering the competition.
- The decision of the organisers is final in every situation including any not covered above and no correspondence will be entered into.
Go back to main Outstanding Award Page