NAFEMS Americas + engineering.com
Award for Outstanding Student Work in
Engineering Modeling, Analysis & Simulation
by Vasilios Halkias, New Jersey Institute of Technology
More Information to Come
About the Student Competition
In recognition of the importance of the university sector to the advancement of numerical simulation, and to encourage undergraduate students to work in these fields, NAFEMS Americas and engineering.com has established a new student competition! The award is aimed at those studying an undergraduate degree that is accredited by ABET, and who are completing a project in an area that involves the use of engineering simulation techniques such as finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, multi-body dynamics, optimization, electromagentics, or bio-engineering.
Free participation (one person) with presentation of the work at CAASE20, the Conference on Advancing Analysis and Simulation in Engineering. The NAFEMS Americas and engineering.com Student Award is advertised in various NAFEMS regions. From the winners in each of the regions, one overall winner will be selected and can attend the NAFEMS World Congress 2021 free of charge to present his/her work to an international audience (www.nafems.org/congress).
Details...so many details!
Eligibility for Participation
- Nomination is open to all penultimate or final year undergraduate students enrolled at any ABET accredited Higher Education Establishment during the 2019-2020 academic year.
- The project must be individual work and not part of a group project with multiple authors.
- The project must be finalized before 05/31/2020.
- Participation is not open to employees of NAFEMS, engineering.com or any person directly or indirectly involved in the organization, or running of this competition, or their direct family members.
- Participants may be required to attend a web-based interview.
- The student will need to identify a project supervisor whose role is not only to ensure that the student does the research properly, but is also a faculty member at the designated university and teaches the student about general research practices, scientific rigor, independence, and critical thinking.The project supervisor must testify that the participant is a matriculated undergraduate student for the academic year in question and that the results are the participant's own work.
- No responsibility is accepted for entries made outside the rules of the competition.
- Participants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering the competition.
- It is envisaged that final or penultimate year individual Undergraduate Projects will be eligible for entry for the NAFEMS Americas + engineering.com Student Award.
- The project report must involve significant use of Engineering Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation technology.
- The time span for project completion must be less than one year.
- If the project is part of a larger, on-going project for an organization, then it would be eligible for nomination if it created an additional feature or was a major modification of an existing feature of the larger project. In this case, the student must make it clear that this is the case and also clearly note what their contribution and achievement has been.
- Winners will be expected to participate in reasonable publicity activities in connection with the competition. Reasonable expenses incurred will be reimbursed.
- The deadline for entries is 05/31/2020.
- The award-winners will be those who have, in the view of the competition judges, demonstrated one or more of the following:
- Practical use of simulation, including assessing the validity of the results and their limitations.
- Comparison with physical experiment, theoretical solutions; convergence studies; reflection on uncertainty, etc. will be looked upon favorably.
- Communication of the value and impact that simulation brought to the project.
- The judges' decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Only the winners will be contacted personally. The project supervisor and participant should make no contact with any person from NAFEMS or engineering.com with regard to the awards.
- The panel of judges will be comprised of volunteers from the NAFEMS Americas Steering Committee and engineering.com.
- If deemed necessary, the organizers reserve the right to cancel the student award competition at any stage.