Metals MANWG Focus Team
The MANWG Metals Focus Group was set up in early 2018 and aims to:
- Promote best practice simulation methods for all manner of metal forming and joining processes, by:
- describing methods of carrying out metal forming and joining process simulation, including standardised modelling practices
- demonstrating the benefits from adopting simulation─providing a source of information on how to carry out simulation successfully.
- Identify the aspects of simulation that require more investigation to allow more widespread and effective use of these methods in industry, including:
- determining the most challenging technical issues in metal forming and joining process simulation for further research
- proposing benchmarks to improve the efficiency and accuracy of simulation software
These aims will be achieved through the following activities:
- Create publications within the NAFEMS framework addressing specific aspects of metal manufacturing process simulation that we feel need support and clarification, including, for example, materials characterisation for metal forming simulation, springback prediction and compensation, and choice of solution methods, e.g., for up-front simulation.
- Promote a better understanding of the need for reliable sources of material data suitable for use in metal manufacturing process simulation.
Develop and maintain a list of benchmark studies and related publications from all sources.
Encourage participation in relevant benchmark exercise.
Identify potential new NAFEMS benchmark problems for specific applications.
Long Term / Ongoing
- Provide a forum for discussion of topics of interest to engineers working in this field, supporting and encouraging the suppliers of simulation software, universities & research institutes and the industrial users who seek to benefit from metal forming process simulation.
Processes considered by the Focus Team include sheet metal & tube forming such as pressing, drawing, stretch forming, shaping, hydroforming & superplastic forming; bulk metal forming including forging & extrusion; machining; metal casting and other solidification based processes; joining processes for metals including welding; and heat treatment.
N.B., Metallic Additive Manufacturing is addressed by a separate Focus Team.
A list of the current members of the Metals MANWG Focus Team can be viewed here.
If you are interested in participating in the Metals Focus Team, please complete the 'Get Involved' form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.
If you wish to get involved in the Metals MANWG Focus Team activities, please use the form below.
PLEASE NOTE: all NAFEMS Working Groups are asked to ensure that at least two thirds of their membership are affiliated with a NAFEMS member organisation